... I saw clearly then
that the point of no return is the starting point;
if you can go back, you have not yet begun.

Jack Haas

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The First Morsel

Well I suppose it had to start some time.

Sure snuck up on me though. I finished with work only last week - I still have fitful dreams of swinging hammers, and stomping shovels - and now here I am on my way! I'm in Portland at the moment, in some quirky, local, organic cafe, called Brews Brothers. I had The Elwood Panini, for those of you in the know.

At any rate, I thought that if I were to write a blog, I'd be best served to put a little something down from the get-go, just to let everyone know. I must say, it's a style of writing I'm not yet used to. It feels a bit like giving a toast at your birthday party. You look out, and see friends and loved ones from all different parts of your life, all grouped together now in one room, staring up at you and waiting patiently for you to offer up some delicious morsel of wisdom. It's a rare luxury having you all out there at attention (supposing, of course, that anyone is reading this) so I figure I'd better do my best to make use of it.

Wise or not, however, there is only one thing that seems to be yearning for release this morning, and that is simply to say that although I've only just begun all this, I find myself missing you all very much already! Up until recently, I'd been measuring my time in days, filling them to the brim, and counting them down in preparation for my departure. But time on the road, it seems to me, is measured not in days, but hours, and my hours of late have been spent chiefly in thoughts of you guys.

I want to thank you for all your encouragement over the years, and especially in regard to the present trip! Many hands took part in its creation, and I look forward to sharing some of it with you on here, if I can.

That's all for now. Bye Bye!

1 comment: